Mazzie's Music Magorium
Punk and Metal Album Reviews
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Elks "Destined For The Sun"

I got this album as an early Christmas gift and I never really heard of them except for an introductory interview in a random metal zine.  Cannot remember which at the moment but I'm very glad I got a copy.  They just signed to Tee Pee Records and released this as their debut.  The band is from NYC and they are very difficult to label.  I don't know about you but I love bands like that because I've pretty much listened to every genre and it's getting more difficult to find something new.  While, they aren't exactly "new", they do bring some unique mix of sludge, punk, and rock.

I'm really impressed with the sound production of this album.  Usually underground bands aren't able to get quality mastering and the sound suffers due to this.  However, the sound is very crisp and well balanced.  None of the instruments take over the rest.  It's all very tight and blend together well.  The drums is very relentless and fast.  Best part is the bass is actually listenable!  The guitar riffs are excellent and the harmonies is crazy.  Very inventive solos as well.  The vocals is nothing special but it doesn't take away anything from the album either.  Overall the sound is sorta technical, yet sludge.  Very odd but you gotta listen to the album to know what I mean by that.

Recommended for anyone who dig sludge or at least "out there" rock music.

Score: 7.5/10



bandcamp: http://elksny.bandcamp.com/



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment