Mazzie's Music Magorium
Punk and Metal Album Reviews
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Cosyns Self Titled EP
Cosyns is one of several projects by the man, Derek Corzine. Some of you might know him from Aletheian, Bloodlined Severed, and Whispers From Heaven. He's very talented musician and I guess he decided to start an instrumental metal project. Yes, you heard me. Instrumental. Now, don't get me wrong...I am not fan of instrumental music in general because it's hard to keep it interesting without the vocals. However, this is really good stuff! Technically there are lyrics but we, listeners, will have to figure out from the rhythms in the songs. Derek decided to use Morse Code concept with his music and pretty much "sing" the lyrics in Morse Code. I have to admit this is very interesting concept but he's not the first one to do it. Meshuggah has constructed many songs this way and so have few other bands. However, I think it's first time someone done an album in Morse Core in its entirety.


The one thing I really don't like is the programmed drummer. He does it well but I know he knows a lot of drummers so I think he should brought someone in to do the drums for him. That's just my opinion. The guitar work absolutely slays! I'm not surprised because that is his specialty and I expect it to be top notched work.


Best Song: Christ Wept- the first song on the EP. It only have one sentence in lyrics which is Christ wept. At first I was hesitant because I thought it might be bit repetitive but its really not. It's very well thought out and I absolutely love the guitar works on this song. Drumming was pretty good even though it was programmed.

Worst Song: Outward- still a very decent song but this is where the drumming is starting to annoy me. Other than that its still a great song.


Score: 7.5/10 (would've been much higher if he used a real drums)


www.myspace.com/cosyns

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment